IAM leaders respond as more than 3,200 machinists remain on strike at Boeing

Brian Bryant International President at International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
Brian Bryant International President at International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
0Comments

Boeing reported $23 billion in revenue for the third quarter and a defense backlog of $76 billion, with positive cash flow for the first time since 2023. These results were announced as more than 3,200 members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) District 837 continue their strike in St. Louis. The union members are seeking what they describe as a fair contract after contributing to key defense programs.

IAM District 837 workers are involved in building several advanced military aircraft and systems, including the F-15EX, F/A-18, T-7A, MQ-25, and the future F-47 fighter jet. Boeing’s inability to reach an agreement has already led to delays in delivering F-15EX jets, according to statements from the U.S. Air Force.

During Boeing’s earnings call on Wednesday, company executives acknowledged the ongoing strike and outlined plans to reduce its impact while discussing efforts to create a new internal culture.

“Boeing’s so-called contingency plan is failing because they can’t replace the skill, precision, and experience of IAM Union members in St. Louis who have spent their careers building the world’s most advanced military products,” said IAM Union International President Brian Bryant. “If Boeing is serious about culture change and rebuilding its brand, it starts with respecting the people who make its success possible — not trying to sideline them. Investors must also take into account Boeing’s continued failure to manage labor relations responsibly. The company’s refusal to engage in fair bargaining is not only hurting workers and national defense programs — it’s a risk to Boeing’s long-term stability, reputation, and credibility.”

Boeing noted future investments planned for its St. Louis operations following its successful bid for the F-47 contract—a move attributed by union leadership to workers’ expertise.

“The workers whose craftsmanship and innovation made these investments possible deserve to share fully in the prosperity they’ve helped create,” Bryant added.

IAM Union members at other Boeing facilities across the country continue producing commercial aircraft that contribute significantly to Boeing’s recovery.

“Boeing’s executives can talk about transformation all they want, but the real transformation begins when they treat all employees as one Boeing,” Bryant continued. “The company hasn’t delivered a single new F-15 during this 13-week strike, and production delays are now rippling into the 777X program. It’s time for Boeing to end this strike, get our members back to work, and live up to the values they claim to be rebuilding.”

The union states it remains committed to negotiating with Boeing; earlier this week it submitted a revised contract proposal featuring concessions on retirement benefits but says Boeing rejected it without counteroffer. In response, IAM filed another Unfair Labor Practice charge against Boeing alleging refusal to bargain in good faith.

The ongoing strike has attracted attention from lawmakers: Sixteen bipartisan members of the House Armed Services Committee called on Wednesday for both parties to negotiate earnestly amid concerns over delivery delays impacting national security.

The IAM represents approximately 600,000 active and retired workers across multiple sectors throughout North America.



Related

George M. Cook, Performing the Duties of the Director

Census Bureau to embargo Vintage 2025 population and housing unit estimates in May

The U.S. Census Bureau will grant select media early access to upcoming city and housing data in mid-May through an embargo system. The agency outlined procedures for registration and expert interviews during this restricted period.

George M. Cook, Performing the Duties of the Director

Census Bureau invites select households to participate in 2026 Census Test

The U.S. Census Bureau has begun inviting select households in Alabama and South Carolina metro areas to participate online in its 2026 Census Test. This effort will help prepare innovations planned for future national counts.

Elizabeth Fogarty, Director of Visit Grand Junction

Houston Chronicle features Grand Junction for horseback riding and scenic views

Grand Junction was highlighted by the Houston Chronicle as a prime spot for horseback riding. The article draws attention to local landmarks and organizations involved with outdoor activities. Increased media coverage could boost tourism interest in the area.

Trending

The Weekly Newsletter

Sign-up for the Weekly Newsletter from Grand Junction Business Daily.